Re: Adobe (Temporarily?) Kills 64-Bit Flash For Linux

On 06/19/2010 04:03 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
>> --- On Tue, 6/15/10, Dale J. Chatham<dale@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>

>>> On 06/15/2010 12:28 AM, Patrick
>>> Bartek wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> video recording and/or playback formats.  Ultimately,
>>> the consumer chose which format it preferred.  They
>>> will, again.  It just takes time.
>>>

>>> VHS/Beta?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure the consumer actually chose.  The porn
>>> producers chose to
>>> go with VHS and very little Beta porn was produced.
>>>
>>> The result is that we had VHS, even though it is arguably
>>> not as good as
>>> Beta.
>>>
>> The real reason VHS triumphed over Beta was the long recording times.  That's what people wanted more that superior image quality.  You could record a whole movie off the TV on a single standard play cassette, or on extended play, a whole evening of TV, 6 hours.  Beta couldn't.
>>
>> Also, IIRC, VHS machines were cheaper than Beta ones.  Cheaper.  Longer playing.  Sold!  Consumers have spoken. ;-)
>>

> Any vendor could make VHS by getting a license. Only Sony could do Beta. Sony
> kept all the beta profit for itself until there wasn't any.

Try to get your facts right.

Anyone could licence Betamax from Sony, and several companies did.
Sanyo, NEC and others made a *lot* of Betamax machine. The non-Sony
Betamax machines were cheaper than VHS machines, and generally gave
superior quality.

Anyone could licence VHS from JVC, but not on a level playing field. JVC
insisted on compromises in the design of machines made by anyone outside
their own group.

Steve