Re: Is NetworkManager forcing 1Mb/s rate?

david briley writes:

Hi all, I've been battling this issue: my wireless speeds are grindingly slow. iwconfig while connected returns:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"onigiri" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422 GHz Access Point: 00:21:7C:9D:CB:61 Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
Link Quality=16/100 Signal level=16/100

You're showing very poor signal quality here.

Temporarily relocate your laptop right next to the access point antenna, wait a while, and see if your rate improves.

You have your bit rate ramped down to 1MB/s because your wireless hardware thinks it's getting a very poor signal from the access point. Almost no signal at all, only 16% signal strength.

Generally, my understanding is that this is driven entirely by your wireless card. iwconfig is merely reporting what the wireless card is doing, and the host operating system has no say in the matter.