Re: Restart F-13 download?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 3:26 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, that looks like a winner! It says it is downloading the remainder of
> the file. It says about 4 hours remaining, good speed for this satellite
> connection.
>
> I wanted to use wget to begin with but didn't find the right url right
> off and decided just to let it go from the Fedora download page.
>
> I just tried rsync a couple of times on two different source addresses
> but it kept giving me error message:
>
>    [root@box6 bobg]# rsync -av
>    http://fedora.osuos.org/linux/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
>    /home/bobg/Downloads/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
>    ssh: connect to host http port 22: Connection timed out
>    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
>    [Receiver]
>    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(601) [Receiver=3.0.7]
>
> Likely something I was doing wrong?
>
> Thanks all for the help. I always worry about bandwidth usage since I'm
> limited to 17 gb down/30 days and I am at 52% of that this morning after
> yesterdays failed attempt.

I think rsync would have done the job but two things (keeping in mind
I'm not an rsync expert):
- You shouldn't specify the destination name, just the directory to
put the iso file
- You don't need the "-a" option, that's for archiving which
substitutes several other options such as recursive file transfer (all
files in a directory tree) and maintaining ownership and other stuff.
- Even with those two problems it seems rsync is assuming a secure
shell (ssh) file transfer when in this case you want it over http,
don't have a clue why.

Your sync command should probably be something like this:
rsync -v http://fedora.osuos.org/linux/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
/home/bobg/Downloads/

Another option which some people like over wget is curl. I like it
because it has nice CLI status info. The command for it would look
something like this:
curl -L -O http://fedora.osuos.org/linux/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso

In this case you would want to be in the directory you want it downloaded to.

Richard