Re: Amazing problem of /boot AND how to download videos

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 14:40 +0530, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> my etc/event.d/control-alt-delete file (fc11) is like that:
>
> # control-alt-delete - emergency keypress handling
> #
> # This task is run whenever the Control-Alt-Delete key combination is
> # pressed.  Usually used to shut down the machine.
>
> start on control-alt-delete
>
> exec /sbin/shutdown -r now "Control-Alt-Delete pressed"
>
> This is exactly like what is your in fc9. For disabling
> Contol-Alt-Delete in the console mode, I commented the last two lines
> like:
>
> # start on control-alt-delete
> # exec /sbin/shutdown -r now "Control-Alt-Delete pressed"

For testing purposes, I would have changed the command to something
else, to see when it worked.  e.g. Write a line of to a log file or the
console.

> and saved the changes and run the command:
>
> init q
>
> but after rebooting it was not disabled. So I added the following
> line:
>
> # ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
>
> in the /etc/inittab file. This line was not there initially, but I
> added it (commented) and again run the command:

If you added the line after a # mark, it probably isn't being seen as a
command.

Though I have to admit I'm treading on unfamiliar territory, here, and
I'm looking at how things seem like they need to be done, rather than
outlining what I've already done, myself.  You might want to try some
Google searching:

http://www.google.com.au/search?&q=preventing+users+rebooting

There's probably already some sort of security policy that can be set to
deny some/all users to reboot, that you just need to enable.  And
there's probably two ways of masking out this interrupt, one for GUI
users, and another for text console users.

However, you need to consider that if you take away users ability to
reboot, they may just do it in some other way.  Such as hitting the
reset button on the computer case, or the power switch.  So you'd need
to disconnect them.  But then how do you manage errant hardware,
yourself?

If you do disable rebooting, you'd want some sort of warning to appear,
when they tried, letting them know that rebooting has been disabled,
because the system *needs* to be left running (or something similar).
So, hopefully, they stop trying rather than try something else.

You won't stop the people who don't give a damn, but you might stop
someone who's not trying to be a nuisance.

> issuing:
>
> [root@localhost ~]# wget http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0
>
> saves the following file:
>
> watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0
>
> in the directory from where the command was issued but NOT the video.

That would be because an address like that one, isn't to just some video
file to be played.  It's a web page, and that web page includes all
sorts of other things, that causes the page to include multimedia
content in it.  All you've done is download the page.

If you look at the page code, you may find a reference to the file that
you want to download.  But various pages will use techniques that load
media through something else, and you'll only be able to get the thing
in the middle, rather than the file that you want.

There are "download helper" plug-ins that you can install in the Firefox
web browser, and for other browsers, too, that let you save content from
some sites, such as YouTube.  There's one that's actually called
"DownloadHelper" which does that, as well as offering to convert
downloaded media to other formats that are easier to play back.

For sites that do actually directly refer to the media you want within
the webpage, there are options with wget to get the page PLUS things
referred to in the page.  See the wget man file, look for the -p option.

By the way, on this list we don't top post (writing replies above the
message you're replying to), nor do we quote the entire prior message,
just the bits that need seeing to make sense of the reply.  As I've done
with my replies.  The list guidelines (a link to them is below in the
list signature), explains more about this.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.