Re: Another funny update?

On 06/15/2010 04:05 PM, David Boles wrote:
> On 6/15/2010 4:35 PM, Kevin Martin wrote:
>
>> On 06/15/2010 02:30 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I used to use kmod-nvidia(-PAE) and what I used to do was:
>>> yum check-update
>>>
>>> Then if there was a kernel but no kmod update listed then I did an
>>> update excluding the kernel -
>>>
>>> Later in the day do it again and if the kmod is then available do a
>>> complete update -
>>> Is that so difficult?
>>>
>>> I also used to use akmod-nvidia and found after some trial and error
>>> that there was no -PAE version whereas there was a -PAE version of
>>> kmod-nvidia-PAE so one had to be a little careful about exactly which
>>> package to use!
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>

>> Not so difficult, just seems like it should be unnecessary.  If there
>> are dependencies in installed components that will be broken by an
>> update then the update shouldn't be offered/shown by yum/packagekit
>> until the an updated dependency is satisfied (that sounds odd to me but
>> I hope you understand what I mean).
>>

> Fedora provides you, free of charge, a perfectly good, working,
> operating system. And they maintain that system. As provided.
>
> You modified it by adding a package, or packages, from a non Fedora
> site(s). Fedora provided improvements and bug fixes for the system that
> they provide and maintain that 'broke' when you modified that system?
>
> You modified your system. So you should fix it.

This has nothing to do with "who broke what".  This has everything to do
with attempting to make Fedora, and other Linux variants, mainstream
enough for the common person to use.  Your attitude is why Microsoft,
and to a lesser extent Apple, own the desktop...while Microsoft software
and patches are by no means the end-all-be-all of stability, from an
end-users point of view it's certainly more straight forward than what
we're discussing here.  While I applaud Fedora's attempt to not include
closed-source software components, it *does* allow for the availability
of secondary repositories that *do* make closed-source drivers available
(using the same install mechanism that is used to install "Fedora
approved and included" packages) and there should be an effort made to
make sure that the tool is smart enough to handle the dependencies
system-wide.  If not, then take Apples approach and close the door on
secondary repos and have complete control over what gets installed on a
machine.  The fact of the matter is, it's a good thing that there are
these secondary repos out there to provide much needed "other"
software...if it weren't for those repos, frankly, Fedora would be even
less widely used than it is today.

Kevin