Re: Adobe (Temporarily?) Kills 64-Bit Flash For Linux

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Mon, 6/14/10, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 08:32 -0700,
>> Patrick Bartek wrote:
>>> By that time, if Adobe is true to form, HTML5 will be
>> fully
>>> implemented and out for two years, and there'll be no
>> need Flash
>>> anymore. ;-)  Praise the day!
>> Wishful thinking, because all the pre-existing sites full
>> of Flash will
>> not be converted for you.
>
> I've read because of the iPad and Apple's "No Flash" stance, that Flash using sites are developing non-flash alternatives for it.  I've read that this is happening quite rapidly with everyone in a panic because they don't want to loose the business.  Ah!  Don't you just love capitalism.

What could be better for hackers than going to a new format in a hasty manner
with minimal user experience with the format to know where the problems are.
Hopefully we will see someone just produce a new flash player which can be run
on iPad (there's one in javascript IIRC).

> Besides, choice is good.
>
>> Though I agree with the sentiment, it would be good to do
>> without the
>> unnecessary use of Flash.  However I don't see the
>> replacement doing
>> away with encumbered data formats, ogg theora got dropped
>> as the
>> multi-media format.  We're likely to have yet another
>> encumbered format
>> foisted upon everyone, as everyone knows that everyone uses
>> Windows,
>> with a few Mac users, all of which will get a licensed
>> player...
>
> There was a similar problem 35 years ago with consumer video recording and/or playback formats.  Ultimately, the consumer chose which format it preferred.  They will, again.  It just takes time.

Good marketing and a mediocre product beats good product and a bad business
model every time.

Unfortunately we will probably go from a freely-available proprietary format to
a host of competing incompatible open, closed, and proprietary format, all
draped with claims of patent violation and resulting in less content for the
consumer, and higher profit for vendors selling less service for a higher
license fee.

Apple doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about the consumer, if there's penny to
be made it will be made, and if product lockdown and legal intimidation can get
every last penny the hell with choice. Choice is only good when you can choose
us over them, once you're locked into us it should be a trap door, no return
possible.

When it comes to standards, choice without differentiation is not good for those
who must choose not what serves them best, but what they will be forced to give
up. Like politicians, lesser of evils.

You bet this one of my hot buttons.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
   This year send a message to the political parties, we are tired of gridlock