Re: Fedora 12/13 network printer oddness

On 06/14/2010 09:52 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Tim<ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 16:00 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>>> No, it's connected through IPP:
>>>
>>> ipp://hobbes.localdomain:631/printers/Photosmart-C5500-series
>>>
>> Does "hobbes.localdomain" always resolve to the print server's IP
>> address?  And does it do so on the other client computers?
>>

> Yup, I'm not using anything special, it's just a home network with all
> the IP->Host translations in /etc/hosts.
>
> I think it has something to do with my wife's laptop but I have no
> idea what's going on. I scanned her IP with nmap and it couldn't find
> any trace that her laptop is even there, however, all network
> connections coming FROM her laptop continue to work fine. I was out of
> town this weekend so I haven't had a lot of time to see what's going
> on but I'm going to try shutting down the firewall completely to see
> if it makes a difference. I don't think it will. I tried that last
> week just to see if the printer auto-discovery would work but I'm
> going to shut it down and try nmap again.
>
> Richard

Richard ,  Keep in mind that Fedora has a DNS problem beacause of IPV6.
I have to create a separate file in   /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf  and enter
the line;

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

And I have to start  "dnsmasq" in Services

if you have extra ethx or wlan or what ever you have make extra files in
/etc

The way you can tell if you have this problem is if you can't connect to
certain websites through  yum or I couldn't even connect to NTP
connections to get time, or connect to
RpmFusion.org. Don't pay any attention to how Firefox handles these
websites it has it's own IPV6 setups.

Some Say if you check or uncheck the box in "Network Configuration"
about using IPV6,
that will fix the problem.