Re: Subject: Re: Amazing problem of /boot

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 12:21 +0530, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> Here, after updating the system (from the GUI,
> System---->Administration--->Software Update), i see in above two
> titles of Fedora, and why it is so? but the no. is bracket for two are
> different, respectively:
>
> 'title Fedora (2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586)'
> 'title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586)'
>
> i am confused why it is so.

When you install updated kernels, they're added to the system, and
previously installed kernels are kept.  The newest one will be at the
top of the list.

This allows you to work around a problem with a kernel, if you have one,
by booting up with one that worked previously.  And on that note, I
recommend keeping more than the default two or three kernels, just in
case some problem sneaks in that takes you a while to notice.  The more
options you have to test with, the better.

You can change the number of kernels that will be kept from within
the /etc/yum.conf file.  There'll be an installonly_limit line like this
"installonly_limit=3" somewhere in that file, or you can add it if there
isn't one.

On my system, I bumped it up to 6.  That gives me plenty of things to
test problems against, and doesn't waste too much space and updating
time.  The more kernels you keep, the more time yum takes to figure out
dependencies, etc., when you do a "yum update".

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.