Re: Status of SSDs under Fedora ?

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> * align the FS properly (this'll be the biggest PITA to figure out
>> whether it's done correctly, seek help from google). Latest firmware on
>> Intel SSDs claims to not need this, but I'd do it just in case.
>
> Don't need to do it, period.

Which doesn't mean there's no benefit in doing it, just that the SSD will work
without doing it.

>> * enable noatime,nodiratime in /etc/fstab -- reduces number of writes
>
> It's the default for all file systems, SSD or not, you don't need to do
> this.

Not so, Fedora uses relatime (see /proc/mounts) at least for current releases.
See relatime under the mount man page for how that works. I do agree that you
don't need to change that, it gives you as much atime correctness as most
applications need.

>> * if you don't much care for the logs in /var/log, turn them off or
>> redirect to a ram drive -- reduces number of writes

I wouldn't do without logs on a bet, if you have a problem you have no way to
look into it. The number of writes is so small you gain little.

> With the MTBF of the SSDs today, this is unnecessary.

Another place where I feel "not necessary" doesn't mean the same thing as
"without benefit." There's no good reason not to do optimizations. The one which
really might help is trying to get the filesystem to hold write until it has a
block of data, 32k, 256k, whatever the SSD writes at once. Various filesystems
use different option for this if they allow it at all. That does make an
improvement in write speed for sequential files.

>> * switch io scheduler to noop -- speeds up random reads
>
> I'd love to see benches on this; not butt-dyno opinion blog pages.

Please post when you do them, I'm going to assume there's no conspiracy and the
consensus opinion is right. I would expect disk buffer usage to be slightly
smaller under some io loads, but it's only worth doing because it's easy.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>