Re: yum-complete-transaction wants to remove 159 packages

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:37:50 -0400
Mike Williams <dmikewilliams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there.  On a system that recently had a fresh install of f13 I got
> the following message from yum:
> "There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider
> running yum-complete-transaction first to finish them."
>
> When I ran yum-complete-transactions another message appeared:
> "There are 1 outstanding transactions to complete. Finishing the most
> recent one The remaining transaction had 228 elements left to run"
>
> Then after a very long list of packages it wants to remove including:
> bash, yum-utils, and xorg-x11-drv-nouveau it says:
>
> Remove      159 Package(s)
>
> This sure seems like it will kill the system.
>
> uname -a
> Linux mred.localdomain 2.6.33.5-112.fc13.i686.PAE #1 SMP Thu May 27
> 02:56:20 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Just as a check to see if the packages have been replaced by newer
packages, and the update crashed before the erase step completed, you
could run some queries for critical packages to see if the version
installed is newer than the erase version.

rpm -qi bash
etc.

What happens if you do a yum update and ignore the warning?  Does it
still warn the next time you run an update?

Unless there was a problem with a previous update, it seems like it is
an error that it should be indicating that transactions need to
complete. Perhaps you should file a bugzilla
(http://bugzilla.redhat.com) against yum that it is flagging the
situation incorrectly.  I vaguely recall that there can be overlap
between anaconda and yum in functionality, so this might be an error in
anaconda, leaving the system in a state that yum interprets as an
incomplete transaction.