Re: How to find which swap in use?

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> Actually, these give the same information in this case as "top", eg
>> ----------------------------------
>> [tim@alfred ~]$ sudo swapon -s
>> Filename      Type            Size    Used    Priority
>> /dev/sdb3     partition       1959920 0       -1
>> ----------------------------------
>>
>> It seems that swap is not being used, for some reason.
>> This machine has just under 1GB RAM (the max for this motherboard)
>> so it is not clear why swap is not in use.
>>
> I can think of may reasons for swap not to be used at a particular
> moment.For example, at this moment the swap on my desktop has 0 bytes
> used. If swap is never used then one can start worrying.

As far as I can see, it is never being used.
I've checked on my other machines, and they all show some swap usage,
even if it is very small, eg 144 (I assume this is 144k) on my server,
with 4GB RAM.

The old machine I'm talking about has less than 1GB RAM,
and is running Fedora-12, so surely it must need to swap sometimes.

Is there any way of forcing a machine to swap?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net