Re: Upgrade to Fedora13 from Fedora 8

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 13:46 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Surely virtually everyone nowadays has enough room on their disks
> for a spare partition to be reserved for a new Fedora version?

This requires thinking of this in advance. I think most people have
existing partitions that fill their entire drive. Only a fairly
experienced geek would think "I need to leave some unallocated space so
that I can create another partition later". So I suspect that, in most
cases, the entire disk is already part of existing partitions, which
means that creating a new partition would require shrinking or
eliminating an existing one, which is difficult to do without rendering
the current OS unusable.

Even my own desktop has the disk completely allocated (although my
server systems do have a spare partition for exactly this reason). I
could probably play games with backup and restore to create free space,
but this is a nontrivial exercise.

What I usually do is create the new OS as a virtual machine. When I am
satisfied that everything works, then I can do an in-place upgrade of my
main OS. Works for me.

--Greg