Re: Help required

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:21:59 +0530
Pallav Jain <b330bkn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ## password ['--md5'] passwd
> # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all
> # interactive editing
> # control (menu entry editor and command-line)
> # and entries protected by the
> # command 'lock'
>
> which was not there in the case of my menu.lst file, even though
> should i go? people say abt its EOL, but solving the problem is good
> even though it has not reached EOL.

Yes, go for it.  Tim gave you good instructions.  And the
procedure will probably work on any future install you do as well (for
grub1), so you are learning something useful.

It might be helpful for you to read info (or pinfo if you have it
installed) for grub.  Pinfo is dumber but easier than info (unless you
are emacs familiar).

info grub
pinfo grub

While you are experimenting, you might want to leave a stanza in
menu.lst that will boot without protection so you can recover from
mistakes.