Re: Wireless T61 Problem

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 14:25 -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
> Simply put, network is meant to turn on/off devices that are staticly
> configured.  NetworkManager on the other hand is meant to turn on/off
> devices that are dynamically configured.

Simply put, that's wrong.

The network service can handle devices with static and dynamic
addresses.  It's been that way for years.  Here, on my LAN, there's a
mixture of static and DHCP server configured computers, and only one
laptop is using NetworkManager, the rest are all using the network
service.

What "network" is not good at, is handling changing devices
automatically.  Such as unplugging from one network and plugging into
another.  Or unplugging and then using wireless, or vice versa.
Usually, some sort of manual intervention is required.  It's for that
situation that NetworkManger excels.

NetworkManager can also handle static addressing, though that's a newer
feature to it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686