Re: Extract file from tar home/

On 6/7/2010 5:48 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>     I have /home/bobg/ tar'd to "bobg.tar.gz." Can I extract individual
>     files or directories without unzipping the entire 17 gigs?

As a GUI function  -  I can't speak for KDE.

With Gnome. Open the folder that contains the tar.gz.

double click the tat.gz   a window will open

double click the .tar inside that window

open the container that holds the file(s)

select (highlight) the file(s) that you want to extract

click the extract button

the files will be copied to the folder that contains the .tar.gz

the files you selected will still be 'inside' the .tar.gz too

--

  David