Re: How do I associate *.jnlp files to Java Webstart (javaws) on GNOME?

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 08:55 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I use Chrome on F13, and everytime I try to open a JNLP file it opens
> it with gedit. First I thought it was a Chrome bug (there's even a bug
> report for
> that: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=10877), but
> then I realized that if I try to open a .jnlp on nautilus it also
> opens it with gedit, even if I click on "Open With... > Other
> Application... javaws" and check the "Remember this application for
> 'jnlp file' files".
>

> I tried to use xdg-mime install as suggested by comment #32 but it
> didn't work (see comment #34).
>

> Firefox opens JNLP files just fine, but I guess it has its own table
> of file associations.
>

> So, my guess is that if I can teach GNOME to open JNLP files with
> javaws my problem will be solved. Any tips?
I would install sun jdk or jre.
Then I would make sure that what I just installed was the default via
the alternatives command ie;
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java [path to java] [any
digit]

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/javaws javaws [path to javaws]
[any digit]

Then make sure that alternatives is set to use what you just installed;

/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config javaws