Re: Network Manager, WPA, "available to all users"

Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I have a desktop with wireless, due to some cabling difficulties. I'm
> trying to switch from "Network" to "NetworkManager" because we're moving
> our wireless from WEP to WPA-PSK.
>
> Using Network Manager, I can configure a connection with a static IP
> address and things seem fine.
>
> BUT, I want this connection established at boot time and I don't want to
> have to manually enter the WPA-PSK password.
>
> So, I used EDIT CONNECTIONS to edit the connection and checked
> "Available to all users". When I click "Apply", the "Auto xxxx" has
> disappeared from the list of wireless connections.  Clicking on the
> network from the list shown my nm-applet seems to create an "Auto xxxx"
> that uses DHCP and has forgotten the password.
>
> How do I configure a WPA-PSK wireless connection that (1) is remembered
> and (2) available whether or not I'm logged in?

That should have worked.  Back in F11 or F12 that is how I made my WPA2
network available at boot time.  Try it again, maybe NetworkManager
is buggy now.  The latest versions seem much worse than the 6-month old
versions that were replaced.

If all else fails, add the psk by hand.  Here is what the files should
have looked like if NetworkMangler didn't mangled them.

    root@bertha ~]# cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
    [root@bertha network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-Auto_wsrcc
    ESSID="wsrcc"
    MODE=Managed
    KEY_MGMT=WPA-PSK
    TYPE=Wireless
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    NAME="Auto wsrcc"
    UUID=<some numbers>
    ONBOOT=yes
    DEVICE=Auto_wsrcc0
    NM_CONTROLLED=yes
    IPV6INIT=yes
    USERCTL=no
    RATE=auto
    CHANNEL=
    WPA_ALLOW_WPA=yes
    WPA_ALLOW_WPA2=yes
    PEERDNS=yes
    PEERROUTES=yes
    LAST_CONNECT=1260809759
    [root@bertha network-scripts]# cat keys-wlan0
    KEY=                               # (the KEY variable was truly empty)
    [root@bertha network-scripts]# cat keys-Auto_wsrcc
    KEY=                               # ditto
    WPA_PSK="nobodyisgoingtoguessthispassword"
    [root@bertha network-scripts]#

-wolfgang