Re: Ntpd problems FC13

On 06/01/2010 12:09 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 13:51 -0400, Jim wrote:
>
>> FC13/KDE4
>>
>> Ntpd daemon is started in Services and the box is checked in Settings ,
>> but it won't update Time.
>>
> ----
> If it is way off, it will be a problem for ntpd so you should make sure
> that the time is relatively close (i.e. +/- 5 minutes and the right
> date) because ntpd is designed to track closely to time and if it is way
> off, it will take a long time to get it right and create some hefty
> entries in ntpd's skew and drift tracking.
>
> Craig

This is done by adding the -x argument to:
     /etc/sysconfig/ntpd

The removal of -x by default is a F8+ change?  I don't recall
specifically, but its off by default now, and was on before.

Also, you may want to populate /etc/ntp/step-tickers.

With -x in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd, the ntpd startup script will first run
ntpdate against a clock in /etc/ntp/step-tickers, if any, or from the
general pool if not.  Then with the system clock in sync, the actual
ntpd can start and have a better hope of keeping up.

Newer hardware has WAY better clocks than when ntp was written, and thus
the default removal of the initial ntpdate run.

However, for virtualized machines, or systems with UTC checked on and
dual booting, you will need it. :)

Good luck!