Re: Chromium by default?

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:34 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>> I use both Firefox and
>> Chromium, but it looks like most people would like to have just one.
>
> You seem to be making two assertions:

I'm making much more that two but these aren't those ;)

> 1. Most people don't want to be given a choice of browser.

I fail to see how we are not giving people choice?

In exactly the same way that a `giant IT company' (now you must see Dr. Evil fingerquoting `giant laser') did when hardcoding IE into it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocius (again Dr. Evil) `operating system'.
Just because Google use the force, err the open source, doesn't make it Luke Skywalker. As a matter of fact, IMHO Google slowly become a replacement for the `giant laser'.

> 2. Most people prefer Chromium.
Most of geeks that I talk to do, that is for sure? Have you talked to
somebody who has used any one browser for last few years and
discovered Chrome/ium in last few months? I have and they are all in
high praise of Chrome/ium when comparing it to other browsers they
have used.

As well as they praise Google Docs over Office, Google Calendar over Exchange, a.s.o.
In fact, figures shows that Firefox kept it's market share for the last 6 months, while IE lost 1 percent each month for Chrome. So to speak, Chrome users seems to be former MS users that just realized they could brake out their M$ jail. And yes, this made them geeks. Sort of. :)

And oh, IE is still used by much more than 70 millions users. That doesn't make it a rock solid browser.

> I would guess that both of these assertions are false.
> In any case you haven't given any reason for either.

And you hold the key of ultimate truth? ;)

No, but you seems to hold this key, as you already proposed to remove any other browser, but Chromium.

None of us is right, and we can't know what is truth or false without
some strong discussion.

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt
blog: http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com

--

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857