Re: Does anyone know how to debug cups and or lpr SOLVED

Mike Fleetwood wrote:
> On 31 May 2010 04:56, Mark LaPierre <marklapier@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I'm trying to get my printer to work.  I have a driver configurator and
>> System/Administration/Printing tools.  Both find the printer and pass
>> all tests of the printer, device and backend, and send a file to the
>> print queue.
>>
>> [mlapier@mushroom ~]$ lpq
>> ml1740 is ready and printing
>> Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
>> active  root    11      Samsung Test Page               15360 bytes
>> [mlapier@mushroom ~]$ lpq
>> ml1740 is ready
>> no entries
>> [mlapier@mushroom ~]$
>>
>> The file does not get printed but it does disappear from the print queue.
>>
>> Now this whole operation worked just fine with the same hardware with
>> the previous version of Fedora but now it doesn't want to hear it after
>> upgrading to the next version of Fedora.
>>
>> Does anyone know what steps I should take to debug my printing problem?
>> Do you need me to post more information?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> Check the CUPS log files in /var/log/cups/.
> Check /var/log/messages for errors.
> Try increase LogLevel to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and restart
> CUPS and re-examine CUPS log files.
>
> ATB,
> Mike

Done

Here's what I found in the log file.

D [31/May/2010:21:53:41 -0400] PID 4990
(/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) exited with no errors.
D [31/May/2010:21:54:01 -0400] [Job 16] Unable to send print file to
printer!: Inappropriate ioctl for device
D [31/May/2010:21:54:01 -0400] PID 4991 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/mfp)
exited with no errors.

Now, how do I fix an Inappropriate ioctl for device?

My printer is attached to the parallel port on this machine.  This is
what I found in the /dev directory that has to do with the parallel port.

crw-rw----  1 root    lp     6,   0 2010-05-31 22:00 lp0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root        3 2010-05-31 22:00 par0 -> lp0
crw-rw----  1 root    lp    99,   0 2010-05-31 22:00 parport0

The Unified Driver Configurator says the printer is connected to /dev/mfp0

I added this symlink:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root        3 2010-05-31 22:11 mfp0 -> lp0

Restarted cups and tried it again.  Still no joy so I deleted the new
symlink.

Then I used the Unified Driver Configurator to delete the printer.  Then
I used System/Administration/Printing to set up a new printer.  It
detected the printer connected to the machine.  It looked for a driver
and found the Samsung directory and then the correct printer and
driver.  Now there's joy.  It's working again.

Thanks for the help.  I really very much appreciate your effort to help.