Monitor disconnects (?) in F13

F13, KDE. I have the screensaver set to activate after 5 minutes and it
seems to work fine. Nevertheless if I leave the machine for a long
period, say an hour or two (I'd need to experiment more to be sure, and
that takes time of course) the monitor refuses to wake up but just shows
a small error message of its own telling me that the recommended
settings are 1440x900.

Needless to say, that's the resolution I already use. The monitor is a
Samsung SyncMaster 920NW, landscape format LCD, and it worked fine in
F12, F11 and I think F10 (I've had it for a while).

The only recourse seems to be a hard reset as there's no reaction to the
keyboard or mouse. I haven't yet tried ssh from another machine to poke
around. If anyone tells me what to look for I'll be happy to do it next
time.

I turned off power management to see what happens. It didn't make any
difference.

poc