Re: Why are the _nightly_ builds build once in a ... week???

2010/5/30 Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 10:54:37 +0200
> "Joshua C." <joshuacov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Under http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/ are
>> supposed to be the nightly-builds of the "latest" code. However, a
>> quick look at the logs shows that those are build once in a week or
>> even not that "often".
>>
>> Can someone explain why? It's just a signle script to be run. I really
>> cannot understand where the problem is to build every night the isos?
>
> I have been building them, but I haven't synced out the new images yet,
> for the following reasons:
>
> - With the release of F13, we have switched the nightly composes to use
>  rawhide. Most of the spins currently don't compose due to various
>  rawhide issues.

I expected this but without seeing the failed logs one can only guess.

> - I wanted to announce that we have switched them to rawhide, but
>  haven't had the chance yet.
>
> - I wanted to give maintainers of spins some time to fix issues so
>  there are images that compose again.
>
> I'll probibly send out an announcement to devel-announce later today
> and see what state they are in after todays compose.

Thanks

> Out of curiosity, what do you use them for, and which spins? :)

I'm interested in the kde spin. I know that the "latest" kde code
reaches this spin not that fast but the main reason for using the
nightly composes is the ati/xserver stack. The maintainers have done a
great job in improving this video driver but it's still away from its
win**** counter part. The only way to test this and/or apply the
latest mesa patches is to have the latest rawhide code. The versions
that go with the serial distributions are outdated.

Here's a suggestion:

I know that those builds are based on the build tags e.g. dist-f14
etc. Sometimes some builds are made without being tagged and therefore
cannot be caught by the build script. (the kernel package in
particular). Is it possible to have a "rawhide" spin e.g. a spin that
has the "very latest" packages build in rawhide _not_ based on tags?
This will mean that if a package is in koji the script will take it
without looking if it is tagged as update-testing or dist-XX. This is
what I mean with the "very latest" packages. That will be a reall
rawhide spin.