Re: F13 install problem (/dev/fd0 error)

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 21:45:13 -0500,
  "Dale J. Chatham" <dale@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, I was an idiot.  I took about 20 minutes yesterday looking for a way
> to disable the floppy.  Today, it jumped out at me.
>
> Doh!
>
> I might suggest that timing out the attempt to query a floppy and moving
> on might be a wise for the developers to do :)

It does time out. It's just a long time out.
There are multiple bugs related to this issue. The current fix (not used
in anaconda) is to not probe floppy controllers. This has the downside
that floppy drives are detected at boot. In you know about modprode you
can make it so your systems will get a working floppy on boot, but for
"normal" users, this change is going to cause some confusion.

Kyle had an idea about how to prevent the long timeouts for improperly
configured or broken bios and still allow systems with floppy drives
to have them detected at boot without doing anything special. I don't
think this has been implemented yet though.