Re: How to resize RAID-1 partitions (mdraid)

Bruno Wolff III writes:

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:31:11 -0400,
  Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to juggle these partitions around. It's not clear to me if
parted will handle RAID partitions. I think I should resize each
partition on each drive identically, and parted should end up
producing identical contents if it's asked to resize two identical
partitions to the same size, right? But what about the mdraid
metadata on each partition? Where does mdraid keep it, at the
beginning or at the end of each partition? If I resize the partition
with parted, is it going to blow away my raid metadata?

Recent versions of mdraid can keep it either at the front or the back.
Previously the data was stored in the back. Storing it in the back is needed
if you boot off of the device, since grub doesn't support raid and you want
it to think they are ext file systems.

That bad news, since these are existing partitions, so presumably the raid metadata is at the end.

The good news is that I took a look at the current parted online manual, and it looks like there's some support in parted now. The current version of parted seems to accept /dev/mdX as a parameter, and the resize command is documented. So, I think what I need to do is:

1) Use parted to shrink the filesystem on /dev/mdX

2) Use mdadm --grow to reduce the size of the /dev/mdX array

3) Go back to parted, and use the "move" command to reduce the size of the partition on both disks. Not the "resize" command, because I already resized the filesystem, right?