Re: F12->F13 Upgrade: WOW! That went well.

On 05/26/2010 12:29 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
>
>> On 05/26/2010 12:02 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
>>
>>> Started the upgrade from the DVD and then went out.  Came back,
>>> rebooted, and it was all done. Wow.  This has been the smoothest upgrade
>>> ever.
>>>
>>> Now, just waiting for 407 updates from 'yum update'.  Can't wait to see
>>> if Rhythmbox will be able to put music on my iPhone.
>>>

>> That same upgrade went smoothly for me, but after the yum update, grub
>> went away. I booted into rescue mode on the install DVD and managed to
>> reinstall grub to get my system booting again, but that was definitely
>> annoying.
>>

> And did the upgrade finish? Sounds like one of those "out of space in /boot"
> things, which might be in the log.

The upgrade from F12 to F13 went smoothly, and I have and had plenty of
space in /boot. But, the post F13 install update didn't go quite as
smoothly. The system ran fine until I went to restart. I dual boot
Fedora with Windows Vista, and was planning on doing a bit of Windows
gaming when I restarted. After the P.O.S.T., all I got was a blinking
cursor which didn't go away until I rebooted and triggered the BIOS boot
manager which allowed me to boot another drive or CD. An ancient and
unused Windows XP installation on another drive booted up just fine, and
the partition tables on the normal boot drive were fine. So I booted the
F13 installation DVD, chose rescue mode, and reinstalled grub. Upon
rebooting, everything was normal again.