Re: A question about yum

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 00:07 -0700, George R Goffe wrote:
> I'm trying to reduce the disk space that yum uses by running "yum
> clean all". I have seen a listing of files removed by this command but
> now I'm seeing 0 files.
>
> Am I doing something wrong by any chance?

If you've removed the files, why do you expect it to be able to remove
any more?

I seem to recall that Fedora's default for yum was not to cache packages
that it's successfully managed to install, so it shouldn't be filling
your drive up needlessly.  Nonetheless, if that isn't a default, you can
make it your preferred setting by putting a keepcache=0 into your
yum.conf file.  See the man file for more help, and be aware that Fedora
may set their own defaults in the configuration files that different
from the man files descriptions of defaults (for when no option was set
in the configuration file).

Once that keepcache=0 option's set, all that should be cached is the
metadata about what's available on the server, for your next yum update
or yum install.  That's not a lot of filespace, and better for the
servers if you do cache it.

To that end, you're better to do yum clean packages, if you want to
manually remove cached packages (to solve some problem with a package
stuck in the cache) but keep the cached metadata.  Rather than doing yum
clean all, which throws everything away.

And the converse, when something goes awry with doing a yum update or
install, typically because you've hit a mirror that's a bit out of date,
compared to the last time you accessed a mirror site, all you need to do
is yum clean metadata.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686