Re: SELinux error booting backup f12

Daniel J Walsh wrote

> You can boot with selinux=0 or enforcing=0.  enforcing=0 means that
> SELinux will block nothing, but maintain the labeling.

1) selinux=0 worked;  booted up into my backup f12, looks good.

2) next tried rebooting with  enforcing=0
    This was more difficult; the boot process got into relabeling
     wtth a warning it would take long time.
     I walked away from the screen maybe 20minutes into the relabeling
     and when I got back (maybe at 30min time),
      it had rebooted on its own, but into my main f12.
      Rebooted yet again into the "enforcing=0" stanza of my backup f12,
      and it came up this time into my backup f12,
      with no further relabeling message,
      so all looks ok here too.

This was a good learning exerience.
But I must say I am still mostly ignorant of what SELinux is doing,
why I needed either selinux=0, enforcing=0, in the first place, and
in particular the "what/why/how" of this relabeling business.
I have spent some time, not a lot, on googling SELinux, relabeling,
and I am getting lost in the detail.

thanks for showing me the ropes re selinux=0, enforcing=0

Jack