Re: Best backup option

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Jeff Sadino <jsadino.queens@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering what everyone's opinion is as to the best command/program to
> use for backups?  I don't need to preserve the partition table, basically
> just copy files to a backup hard drive.

Obviously there are a ton of ways to do file based backups so a little
more info would be useful.

Do you want to just do localized backups?
What's the target for the backup? DVD's, external HD, etc.
Do you need to backup multiple users or multiple machines?
Do you want a fancy interface or just someting scripted?

I use BackupPC for my home environment. Three computers including the
server itself which is also my desktop. I backup my pictures and music
from my MythTV box, my wifes home directory on her laptop (over
wireless), and my home directory (my /home and the backup directory
are on separate disks).

Richard