Re: resolv.conf, NetworkManager, no ping response on one nameserver

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 18:08 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> I see zero response from ping 206.13.20.12,
> while ping 206.13.31.12 , 68.94.156.1   both look ok

Same here.

> Is this normal?

Yes.  Many things on the internet completely ignore pings.  And many
things change their configurations.  i.e. It may have responded to pings
before, and may not any more.  And that could change again, tomorrow.

> I have been using these same IP for nameservers for years,
> most recently in F10,F11 and now F12.
> Why would NM supply a nameserver that is unresponive to ping?

Because being able to ping a name server has nothing to do with getting
DNS records from it.  You don't need to be able to ping it to use it.
Pinging is about testing the network hardware and software of the
device.  Accessing DNS records is about querying database software
running on it.

> pinging 206.13.29.12  and 206.13.30.12   also look ok,
> but neither of these are in the NM resolv.conf

Why do you expect any of these servers to be in there?  Does your DHCP
server (your own, or your ISPs) supply those addresses to your DHCP
client?  That's the only way they're going to get (automatically) put
there by Network Manager.  It's remotely controlled by a DHCP server,
and follows the DHCP servers directions.

> Am I free to get rid of the one failing ping, 206.13.20.12
> and substitute one of 206.13.29.12 or 206.13.30.12?

You're free to use any DNS server that you want to, and that responds
publicly to DNS queries.  Pick the best one as your primary server,
other servers will only be asked (if and) when attempts to use the first
one times out.

You can use the dig tool to query DNS servers.

  $  dig example.com @206.13.20.12

  ;; global options:  printcmd

That's a query to find an IP record for example.com (a real domain
name).  There is no DNS server at that address responding to queries.
So either the server is broken, or no longer exists.

  $ dig -x 206.13.20.12

  ; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <<>> -x 206.13.20.12
  ;; global options:  printcmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;12.20.13.206.in-addr.arpa.	IN	PTR

  ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
  20.13.206.in-addr.arpa.	7200	IN	SOA	ns1.pbi.net. postmaster.pbi.net. 200209230 3600 900 604800 7200

  ;; Query time: 1813 msec
  ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.2#53(192.168.1.2)
  ;; WHEN: Tue May 18 12:48:19 2010
  ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 101

That's a query to find a domain name for that DNS server (it really
should have one), but it doesn't get an answer.  So the chances are that
the server has been withdrawn from service.

I'd remove it from your configuration.  If you attempt to use it as your
primary name server, it'll delay all DNS look-ups until the time-out
period expire, then the next server will be queried.  Each and every DNS
look-up you try will do that.

You could try the following command, changing the DNS server address
directly after the @ sign (there's no blank space between them), and
look at the *query* times you get back from each DNS server.

  dig +noall +stats example.com @206.13.29.12

The quickest responding server should be your first one.  Though be
aware that if you ask the same query twice to the same server, the first
query is answered, the subsequent answers may be cached responses, and
they'll appear much quicker.  You want to look at the response time for
the first time you make a query.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686