Re: Sophos Anti Virus

On 05/13/2010 11:44 PM, Nermin Celik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At work the IT technicians are insisting on transfering me to Red Hat
> from FC12 due to "Anti Virus system. Sophos Anti Virus only supports Red
> Hat not Fedora". What does this mean? I'm new to Unix environment, and
> this is too technicial.

It means they want to transfer you to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux based
distribution from a Fedora one.  Longer life span, older/patched
kernels.  Certain software feels more comfortable to certain developers
because the install based doesn't move as fast, therefore the developers
don't have to react as quickly because thing break less often.

You may not notice much difference unless you are depending on some of
the new features that aren't yet in RHEL.  Also, you might be able to
use any of the other re-branded distributions based on RHEL, like
CentOS, or Scientific, or, ....

I hear rumors that the next RHEL release (6?) will contain many of the
recent features in F10/F11/F12....

> Regards,

Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx