Re: RAM shows less

Jatin K wrote:

>> Maybe the integrated graphics card is still stealing some RAM (256MiB?)
>> even if you don't use it.
>> A quick Google search of your "1564" appears to confirm that the
>> integrated graphics card is not useable.
>
> integrated graphics card is not usable ??? means ?????
> can understand what you wanna say

As far as I can see, your CPU has an integrated Intel
"graphics card". So you actually have the external ATI
one, which you use, and the integrated one, which you do not use.
Some laptops can switch between the two (performance/economy).
It looks like your laptop model always uses the external
one.
What I'm saying is that, _maybe_, the internal one is not
totally disabled and has still some memory allocated to it
at the hardware/BIOS level.

I may be totally wrong, but my idea comes from this site:
  http://www.anandtech.com/show/2955

which says:

  While the low clocks will reduce heat output and improve
  battery life for the Inspiron 15, it bears mentioning
  that there's no way to switch to using the integrated
  graphics built into the Core i5 CPU and thus improve
  battery life further. This is similar to what we saw with
  NVIDIA's switchable graphics, which have only been in a
  few products over the years. As we covered in our Optimus
  Technology Overview, switchable graphics requires more
  validation and testing, more motherboard layers, and several
  multiplexer chips (typically two per video output). Given
  all of the added work, it's perhaps not too surprising-though
  it is disappointing-that Dell chose to keep costs down on the
  Inspiron 15. Less expensive models are available with Intel
  HD Graphics, for those that don't need a faster GPU.

> please have a look at the output[1] on "cat /var/log/dmesg"
>
> [1] http://cl1p.net/jk/

The good part is missing at the beginning of the log.
Try "dmesg -s 500000" to capture the entire thing.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it