Re: RAM shows less

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 01:40 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Jatin K wrote:

>>> Look at the start of /var/log/messages, /proc/mtrr, etc. See if your CPU has PAT
>>> capability, etc.
>>>

> It may explain, note that you have 3GB starting at zero, a hole, and 1GB
> starting at 4GB. I'm surprised that the system did that well considering you
> have 2x2GB DIMMs.
>
> There are two more things you can look at, /proc/meminfo
cat /proc/meminfo
-------------------------------------
MemTotal:        3917912 kB
MemFree:         2801136 kB
Buffers:           39520 kB
Cached:           319800 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:           469492 kB
Inactive:         274412 kB
Active(anon):     394632 kB
Inactive(anon):       16 kB
Active(file):      74860 kB
Inactive(file):   274396 kB
Unevictable:          16 kB
Mlocked:              16 kB
SwapTotal:       4805624 kB
SwapFree:        4805624 kB
Dirty:                88 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:        384492 kB
Mapped:           112952 kB
Shmem:             10060 kB
Slab:              38800 kB
SReclaimable:      20704 kB
SUnreclaim:        18096 kB
KernelStack:        2424 kB
PageTables:        19876 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:     6764580 kB
Committed_AS:    1084840 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:      314468 kB
VmallocChunk:   34359421308 kB
HardwareCorrupted:     0 kB
HugePages_Total:       0
HugePages_Free:        0
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB
DirectMap4k:      280576 kB
DirectMap2M:     3774464 kB

>   will show what the
> system views as usable memory, and the output of dmidecode will show tons of
> stuff, but there will be one info block per DIMM which shows information on just
> that DIMM. I suspect you are getting a few MB of RAM shared for video, or
> something like that.

I've ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450  with 1GB dedicated memory

following[1] is the output of " lspci | grep VGA " command

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan
[Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]

--
   °v°
  /(_)\