Re: How to sync files on external hard disk and laptop running ,> on F12

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:19
>> RAMAKISHOREBABU KOPPULA <rkbabu.koppula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >  hello every one,
>> >
>> >  1. How to sync files on external hard disk and laptop running on F12?
>> >  2. I am running Windows XP as gust oS using Virtual Box.When I connect a USB
>> >  device the windows OS is not recognising the device automatically as it
>> >  generally happen on standalone windows system. I am able to access the USB
>> >  devices by shared folders option. Is there any way to make windows recognise
>> >  USB devices automatically?

Firstly you will need to have a USB filter set up for the guest. The
easiest way is to plug in the device, then open the Sun VirtualBox
Manager, select the Guest OS, click on Settings -> USB and then add a
filter for your device. If it is plugged in, it should show up in the
list of available objects. This makes the device available to the Guest OS.

Second: This is the part which is not readily apparent. Any Host device
which the Guest is supposed to 'see', must be available when the Guest
is booted in the virtual instance. I've tried but I have not been able
to get around this.
So you must plug in the USB stick/insert the floppy/insert the CD etc.
BEFORE BOOTING THE GUEST. I suspect that you might be able to eject one
CD and insert a new one within the Guest, because the Guest 'knows'
about the hardware, but I haven't tried. Must remember to do that.

But I have been caught out on this before now. I have an application
which runs only in Win and requires a USB security dongle. It must be
plugged in first or nothing works. Irritating but easy to avoid.

Geoff