Re: How to compare filesystem contents

Hello Bryn,

Friday, May 7, 2010, 2:41:55 PM, you wrote:

> These small variations are most likely caused by the differences in
> on-disk layout between ext3 and ext4. Ext4 is an extent based file
> system as opposed to ext2/3 which use indirect block pointers to
> describe the layout of a file's data blocks on disk. These indirect
> blocks consume some of the available space in the file system (they are
> part of the metadata overhead) meaning that storing a file in an ext3
> file system may consume more disk blocks than storing the same data on ext4.

> Have a look at the ext4 wiki and kernelnewbies ext4 articles for more
> information:

> https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
> http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4

> The exact numbers will depend on the size of files, fragmentation levels
> and the allocation patterns exhibited by the use of the file system so
> you can't say for e.g. ext4 is 14.159% more space efficient than ext3 as
> a hard rule but results like the ones you are seeing are not surprising.

> As other posters have commented, if you want to ensure that the
> directory structure and file content is correct on the new volume you
> should compare file lists or checksums to be confident all your data is
> there.

Wow! Thanks for the information!

I compared the file lists as it was suggested a few posts earlier, and
the lists seem to be identical.
I also started comparing checksums, but that's a time-consuming
process (the data I move is mostly my data files and a video archive,
being close to 2TB large in total). Not sure if I really want to keep
it running to the end...

Basically I do believe now everything is Ok and my data is moved properly.

Thanks a lot to everybody!

--
Best regards,
 Andrew