Re: How to sync files on external hard disk and laptop running on F12

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 11:49 +0530, RAMAKISHOREBABU KOPPULA wrote:
> hello every one,
>
> 1. How to sync files on external hard disk and laptop running on F12?

For one way sync (use USB drive as backup device) I assume there are
graphical interfaces to rsync or rdist that can be used.

For 2 way sync (disk and laptop may both have been modified between
syncs) I would look at unison. It's a kind of 2-way rsync that asks what
to do if the same file has been updated on both sides. Sadly, I see that
unison isn't being tracked at the latest release in f12, but there are
packages called unison213 and unison227. I would try the unison227
package.

I have used unison for syncing one folder in my home dir across multiple
systems. That way I can drop files I want generally accessible (at work,
at home, on the road, etc) into that folder and sync with what I
consider my master copy. I can then sync any other of my pc's with the
master and access the files offline after the sync. Much like the
microsoft suitcase thing.

--
birger