Re: Network Adaptor conundrums

On 05/06/2010 02:05 PM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> How do I make the network device eth0 get IP address 192.168.1.64, which is
> what it used to be, instead of 192.168.1.70, which is what it is getting now?

Fix your DHCP server.  Seriously, if it is an allocated address and you
don't like it, fix where it is coming from.  What is your DHCP server?
If its another Linux box, you can change its configuration.  If its a
wireless/wired router, you would need to fix the router.  If its coming
from your ISP's network, you would need to talk with your ISP.

Why is it that you need a specific IP address for your computer?  If it
is because other computers need to know its IP address in order to
communicate with it, then consider configuring it with a static IP
address outside of the range that your DCHP server allocates.

> How do I make the network start automatically at login, instead of me having to
> click the 'System eth0' icon in knetworkmanager in the system tray in order for
> it to start?

Devices configured through system-config-network can be configured to
start up on system boot.  This is especially useful for static IP addresses.

Devices configured when started (usually through NetworkManager or one
of its minions) might instead consider to be "managed" devices and are
only brought up when the controlling program tells it to.  In this case,
it looks like your system is waiting for NetworkManager to tell the
device to come up, and it will only do that when a (particular) user
logs in, and might even bring the interface down when that user logs
out.  This is troublesome if you wish for the computer to be a server
for other computers and need the interface to be up whenever the
computer is, and in those circustances, the interface should be
configured to come up "on boot" and stay up after that.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx