IDE controller card problem

The mobo in my P4 pc died last week so my P4 became a Core2 Duo.

The new mobo only has one PATA channel but the PC has 3 IDE drives.
I installed an ATA133 controller card (VIA vt6410) and connected
it to the IDE dvd-burner.  The two IDE HD's are connected to the
single IDE channel on the mobo.

This is a multi-boot pc with fc7, fc11 and WinXP, and I could
still boot into fc11 and XP after the hardware replacement.

When I boot into XP, the DVD burner attached to the VIA
controller is fully functional.

But when booted into fc11, the dvd drive can't be seen.  The
pata_via driver seems to be loaded and entries in dmesg suggest
that the VIA controller is recognized.  Device Manager in KDE
shows:

    PCI Bridge                {82801 PCI Bridge - Intel}
      RAID Controller         {VT6410 ATA133 - VIA Technologies}
        SCSI Host Adapter
        SCSI Host Adapter

lspci lists the controller:

  04:01.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6410 ATA133
         RAID controller (rev 06)

I've upgraded from fc11 to fc12 (32-bit) and the kernel is now
2.6.32.11-99.fc11.686.  The DVD burner remains invisible.

Can anyone suggest a path to getting the DVD burner working in
Fedora with this controller card?

Regards and thanks in advance for any help you can offer