Re: Problem with Akamai's INET6?

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 14:21:06 Marcel Rieux wrote:
> I try to view this video:
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/lies/video.html
>
> and don't succeed.
>
> I was able to get an mms URL at Akamai, but here's what happens, even using
> mplayer directly:
>
> mplayer mms://
> a1866.v8752c.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1866/8752/0/origin.media.cbc.ca/
> windows/fifth/media/lies2.wmv

If you try mplayer with -v option (verbose mode), it will eventually say
(among other things):

Parsing playlist
http://92.122.211.12/7/1866/8752/0/origin.media.cbc.ca/windows/fifth/media/lies2.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf...
Trying asx...
Trying Winamp playlist...
Trying extended m3u playlist...
Trying reference-ini playlist...
Detected reference-ini playlist format
Playlist successfully parsed

Now, you can use the same link in firefox to save the lies2.wmv file, which is
actually the reference-ini playlist, which was correctly recognized by
mplayer.

The catch is that apparently this playlist is pointing to itself, getting
mplayer (or anything else) into recursion. It seems that the movie itself
doesn't exist, it is just a playlist which is pointing to a .wmv file which is
a playlist pointing to the same .wmv file which is a playlist... You get the
point.

If I were you, I'd complain to the cbc.ca webmaster and tell him to fix it.

Also, this has nothing to do with INET6 --- by default mplayer tries first to
resolve the link via IPv6, and when that fails (most of the Internet still
doesn't have IPv6 implemented) mplayer falls back to ordinary IPv4 resolution,
which works successfully, but points to a recursive playlist.

HTH,
Marko