Re: No sound from Amarok (phonon/ pulseaudio)

On 05/05/2010 01:18 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:

>>> Does the 'test' button work or do anything?
>>
>> Nope.

>>> What does pavucontrol say is your PA output device?
>>
>> "Internal Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)"
>>
>> On the Configuration tab, Internal Audio is shown as "Digital Stereo
>> Duplex (IE958)"
>>
>> On the Playback tab, Amarok is the only application shown, other than
>> System Sounds.
>
> While playing, does pavucontrol show any activity for the amarok stream?
>
> Either way, I'd venture there is a volume problem here, something got muted
> or set to 0 somehwere.
>
> -- Rex

Hmm.  While digging around when I had sound problems,
I found the following URL of interest:
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

It claims,
"Amarok ¶

Amarok is a KDE media player. It supports multiple "engines", which can
be changed within the menu: "Settings -> Configure Amarok... ->
Engines". The GStreamer engine supports PulseAudio (refer to the general
GStreamer section on this page for more information), while the Xine
engine supports both PulseAudio (1.1.2 and newer) and Esound (older
versions). "

Going further down for the Gstreamer section,
"GStreamer Applications ¶

Applications using the modern GStreamer media framework such as
Rhythmbox or Totem can make use of the PulseAudio through gst-pulse, the
PulseAudio plugin for GStreamer in gst-plugins-good. After installing
it, you have to enable it as default audio sink and source for all GNOME
applications by changing the GConf keys
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink and
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc:

gconftool -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink pulsesink
gconftool -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc pulsesrc

Alternatively, you can make these changes with the GUI tool
gstreamer-properties.

The GStreamer plugin wraps playback, recording and the mixer interface. "

I don't know where gconftool can be found.
I used gsteamer-properties to set the default audio sink and source.
gstreamer-properties is a binary provided by gnome-media-apps
$ rpm -q gnome-media-apps
gnome-media-apps-2.28.5-1.fc12.x86_64

The gstreamer Pulse Audio Plugin is found in
$ rpm -q gstreamer-plugins-good
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.21-1.fc12.x86_64

$ rpm -q -l gstreamer-plugins-good|grep -i pulse
/usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10/libgstpulse.so

In the end I believe Pulse Audio will be a good thing.
I like the idea of this abstraction layer and what it tries to do.

I tried switching a number of programs to using Pulse Audio native.

I think I still have some programs trying to go to Alsa.
I believe programs trying to go to Alsa are being intercepted by
$ rpm -q alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.22-1.fc12.x86_64

I have things, more or less, working now.  Stuff could still be better.

Like me, your mileage will vary.  I wish you luck.