Re: Can't get Virtual Network Setup in KVM

On 05/03/2010 06:02 PM, Jim wrote:
> 1.  Installing KVM, In these instructions under # 1 have been completed,
> Network setup is problem.
>
> Fedora 12 KVM Host:
>
> First check if your CPU supports hardware virtualization - if this is
> the case, the command
> egrep '(vmx|svm)' --color=always /proc/cpuinfo
> should display something, e.g. like this:
>
> [root@server1 ~]# egrep '(vmx|svm)' --color=always /proc/cpuinfo
>   flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall
>    nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni cx16
> lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>   flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall
>    nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni cx16
> lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>
> [root@server1 ~]#
> If nothing is displayed, then your processor doesn't support hardware
> virtualization, and you must stop here.
> To install KVM and virtinst (a tool to create virtual machines), we run
> yum install kvm qemu libvirt python-virtinst
>
> Then start the libvirt daemon:
> /etc/init.d/libvirtd start
>
> To check if KVM has successfully been installed, run
> virsh -c qemu:///system list
> It should display something like this:
> [root@server1 ~]# virsh -c qemu:///system list
>    Id Name                 State
>   ----------------------------------
>
>   [root@server1 ~]#
> If it displays an error instead, then something went wrong.
> Next we need to set up a network bridge on our server so that our
> virtual machines can be accessed from other hosts as if they were
> physical systems in the network.
> To do this, we install the package bridge-utils...
> yum install bridge-utils
>

> 2. Trying to setup a Virtual Network using KVM .
>
> No network connection, Network Manager is OFF.
>
> The /etc/sysconfig/network scripts  br0, eth0  are shown below.
>
> I can't get a "virbro" in ifconfig.
>
> The Network Configuration shows   br0 is Active and    eth0 is Inactive .
>

> 3. The setup instructions are below with ifcfg-br0, ifcfg-eth0 and the
> ifconfig output.
>

> Next we need to set up a network bridge on our server so that our
> virtual machines can be accessed from other hosts as if they were
> physical systems in the network.
> To do this, we install the package bridge-utils...
> yum install bridge-utils
>
> ... and configure a bridge.
> I disable Fedora's NetworkManager and enable "normal" networking.
> NetworkManager is good for desktops where network connections can change
> (e.g. LAN vs. WLAN), but on a server you usually don't change network
> connections:

I think you forgot 1 step. Even if your CPU supports hardware assisted
virtualization, you need to enable it in the BIOS. All AMD CPUs now
support hardware virtualization, but not all Intel chips do, then not
all systems support virtualization in their chipsets.

BTW: I seem to have better luck with Virtualbox than with KVM on my
system, especially with respect to audio support. I found that libvirt
always leaves something to be desired. However, if you run KVM/QEMU from
the command line, you should be able to set everything up reasonably well.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix