Brief rant on PXEboot

I acquired a new/old laptop (Thinkpad T43) yesterday,
and decided to install Fedora-12 by PXEboot.

I've done this before, and always found it relatively confusing,
so I decided this time to follow the Installation Guide exactly.

After following this for an hour or so,
I've come to the conclusion that whoever wrote
the sections on PXE boot has never tried out what he/she suggests.

To start with, the section that purports to explain PXEboot (5.4)
immediately tells you that you should be reading chapter 10 instead.

Chapter 10 starts with the warning:
"The instructions in this appendix configures an automated install server.
The default configuration includes destruction of all existing data
on all disks for hosts that install using this method."

On perservering, I'm told that I must read
/usr/share/doc/syslinux-version/syslinux.doc ,
which as far as I can see is all about floppy disks.

What a mess.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net