Re: Sound Problems FC12

On 04/30/2010 06:30 PM, Jim wrote:
> On 04/28/2010 05:48 PM, Jim wrote:

I don't know where the system-config-soundcard package is either.

>> rtkit-daemon[1596]: Sucessfully made thread 1946 of process 1946
>> (/usr/bin/pulseaudio) owned by '500' high priority at nice level -11.
>> pulseaudio[1946]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
>>  rtkit-daemon[1596]: Sucessfully made thread 1952 of process 1952
>> (/usr/bin/pulseaudio) owned by '500' high priority at nice level -11.
>>  pulseaudio[1952]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
>>  gnome-keyring-daemon[1957]: couldn't set environment variable in
>> session: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any
>> .service files
>>  pulseaudio[1593]: module.c: Module "module-device-manager" should be
>> loaded once at most. Refusing to load.
>>  pulseaudio[1593]: module-x11-xsmp.c: module-x11-xsmp may no be loaded
>> twice.
>>  pulseaudio[1593]: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-x11-xsmp"
>> (argument: "display=:1006
>> session_manager=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1889,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1889"):
>> initialization failed.
>>

> In the /var/log/messages it says that module-x11-xsmp is not loading.
> In /etc/pulse/default.pa it shows the  paragraph;
>
> /etc/pulse/default.pa
>
> ### Register ourselves in the X11 session manager
> #load-module module-x11-xsmp
>
> It appears here that the module is not ment to be loaded.
>
> And here is the only place I can find about xsmp;
>
> locate xsmp
> /usr/lib/pulse-0.9.21/modules/module-x11-xsmp.so
>
> Why is this module interfering with my not getting any sound ??

I don't know the answer to your questions.
It sounds as if pulseaudio is already running when your session starts.

You wouldn't, by any chance, be running pulse audio in system mode?
Please see URL:
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemWideInstance
I am guessing you are not running pulse audio in system mode.

I don't understand how pulse audio can already be running.
Do you have something in your .bash_profile or .bashrc file, maybe?

I found two pulse audio commands useful when I had sound problems:
pavucontrol -- yum info pavucontrol
and to a lesser extent, paman -- yum info paman

Please install pavucontrol if you haven't already:
yum install pavucontrol
Please run pavucontrol -- it is GUI based (please note I use Gnome;
                          I assume it works fine on KDE)
You will see the following tabs:
"Playback   Recording   Output Devices   Input Devices   Configuration"
Please select the "Output Devices" tab.
One possibility, and it is probably a long-shot, you may have multiple
output devices.  One output device might have good volume.  The other
might not.
The output devices are selected by changing the
"Port: ..." item.  For me, I have
"Port: Analog Output" and
"Port: Headphones"
The volume is always the same for both devices for me...but you might
be changing the volume of one and not the other...I don't know.

For grins, please install paman if you haven't already.
yum install paman
Please run paman -- it is GUI based
It has the following tabs:
"Server Information  Devices  Clients  Modules  Sample Cache"
I am wondering if you can find module-x11-xsmp under Modules.

I am curious to know what is listed in Clients, and, if something
is listed under devices.

I assume, under Server Information, it is not disconnected or anything.

I have since found another pulse audio command.
yum info padevchooser -- it is GUI based.
If I am not mistaken, one can "advertise" one's sound devices over the
network with pulse audio and one can select a pulse audio sound device
on another host.  I doubt if you have done this, but is interesting if
it can be done.

I better add a disclaimer.  I don't know or understand the workings of
pulse audio and alsa and sound devices very well.  I looked at lots of
stuff when I upgraded to Fedora 12 and my sound wasn't working.  I got
sound to work so I am happy.  I can't remember what was wrong.

It would be nice if someone who knows and understands pulse audio and
alsa better would chime in with better advice than I can give.