Re: OOo 3.2 for F12?

2010/4/29 Kirk Lowery <empirical.humanist@xxxxxxxxx>
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 08:24 -0400, Kirk Lowery wrote:
>> After googling around, it seems that OpenOffice 3.2 won't be
>> officially packaged for Fedora 12. I really would like to upgrade to
>> it because 3.2 now handles OpenType fonts.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm that 3.2 definitely won't be packaged for F12? In
>> that case, what would be the best alternative? Are there reliable
>> third-party rpms? Or install from the tarball?
>
> Unless your need is very urgent, the easiest would be to wait a few
> weeks and upgrade to F13. Or even do it now if you feel brave :-)

Thanks, but I'd prefer not to upgrade to F13. Long experience has
taught me that the best way to upgrade Fedora is do back up the disk,
wipe the hard drive and reinstall Fedora fresh. Since that takes major
effort and loss of productivity, for the past several years I have not
upgraded to every new version bump. So I upgraded from F10 to F12, and
am waiting for F14 to upgrade again.

Having OOo 3.2 is not mission critical. But it would be *very*
convenient. That's why I was wondering if there is a set of rpms that
could be used which were competently built that would not mess up my
F12 install; or, failing that, install from the generic tarball. I'd
be interested in the experience of anyone who has done this.

Kirk

OpenOffice.org provides RPMs for each new version, especially 3.2:
      http://download.openoffice.org/other.html
OpenOffice.org is splitted into several RPMs embedded in a tar.gz archive, with installation instructions.
If you choose to install this version, don't forget to remove the Fedora version of OOo. You may also block updates of OpenOffice.org from the Fedora repositories to avoid packages conflics.