Laptops, virtualisation, and networking

Hello,

I run Fedora 12 on my laptop, along with a couple of virtual machines.

I generally connect to my workplace via wifi or vpn. I want the
virtual machines to have access to my workplace network.

When I'm connected via wifi (or wired) this should work fine, as I can
bridge the guest network interface onto the host, and let dhcp take
care of addressing.

When I VPN in, I'm connected via pptp or ipsec. I can't see the same
bridging/dhcp working on these interfaces as wlan0 or eth0.

This leaves me with a problem. How can I treat virtual machines the
same regardless of connection method (vpn or ethernet).

I'd like to know if anyone else has faced this problem, and how they solved it.

I'm thinking my laptop might have to somehow advertise the existence
of a local non-nat rfc1918 network to my vpn server using ospf or rip.
Seems like a whole lot of overkill, not to mention the potential for
routing shenanigans.

Failing this I might have to use nat on whatever IP address my laptop
currently has. This raises the question of which interface to nat,
wlan0, eth0, ppp0, ppp1, tun0, etc.

Last resort would be to assign two interfaces to each vm, and use the
correct interface for the kind of connection, either ethernet or vpn.

Looking forward to hearing others ideas, or indeed how crazy me ideas
might be :)

Cheers,

Dan