Re: New boot failure

On Wednesday 28 April 2010, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 19:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >A little hint: use yum localinstall (without --), and optional with
>> >--nogpgcheck for unsigned packages. It resolves dependecies
>> >automatically.
>>
>> In that event, the friggin help screen is worthless.  Sigh.
>
>----
>none are so blind as those who do not see
>
>$ yum --help
>Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, downloadonly, fastestmirror,
>priorities, refresh-packagekit
>Usage: yum [options] COMMAND
>
>List of Commands:
>
>check          Check for problems in the rpmdb
>check-update   Check for available package updates
>clean          Remove cached data
>deplist        List a package's dependencies
>downgrade      downgrade a package
>erase          Remove a package or packages from your system
>groupinfo      Display details about a package group
>groupinstall   Install the packages in a group on your system
>grouplist      List available package groups
>groupremove    Remove the packages in a group from your system
>help           Display a helpful usage message
>history        Display, or use, the transaction history
>info           Display details about a package or group of packages
>install        Install a package or packages on your system
>list           List a package or groups of packages
>localinstall   Install a local RPM
>makecache      Generate the metadata cache
>provides       Find what package provides the given value
>reinstall      reinstall a package
>repolist       Display the configured software repositories
>resolvedep     Determine which package provides the given dependency
>search         Search package details for the given string
>shell          Run an interactive yum shell
>update         Update a package or packages on your system
>upgrade        Update packages taking obsoletes into account
>version        Display a version for the machine and/or available repos.
>
>Worthless?

>From the error msg: yum --local_install *.rpm
which once x is running is the same as above.  I did not see that bit when I
was in run level 3 attempting to run it, and can only surmise that
"localinstall" perhaps scrolled off the screen.

Does yum output the same msg to a vt? I don't know, but what it did spit out
seemed to have no revelence to what I had typed.

The point is now moot as rpm did exactly as told and things are fixed.  But
now, after I let it update 100+ packages an hour ago, selinux is producing
kittens, something about ... must be a secret I guess, /var/log/audit, nor
/var/log/setroubleshoot contain anything related to what the popup had me
doing, which was to report it to bugzilla, but I've managed to lose track of
my passwd for bz in all the self destruction F10 underwent from an attempt to
install the latest ati drivers.

>For a long time user of Linux, this is a pathetic diatribe. You should
>know how to type 'command --help' and see what is wrong. It is something
>you should have learned at least 5 years ago.

At least.  So I'll go back to lurking until F13 is out.  My lappy isn't doing
anything important, but when an update self-destructed, I made a mistake,
thinking someone would care, and it turns out only one person had what it
took to steer me to the answer.

Thank you Wolfgang.

--
Cheers, Gene