Re: Preupgrade??

On 04/27/2010 03:19 AM, Beartooth wrote:
> 	Since it's late April, with F13 due next month, I presume that
> preupgrade must working, or about to start working, no? But I've seen
> precious few posts here about it -- and in view of the things ordinary
> updates seem to've been breaking lately, I'm a little spooky.
>
> 	Any word on it?

I've been testing and have had problems with Fedora 13 x86-64.
It installs ok but produces an error message regarding faulty code in a
.py file which persists even after upgrading python after fresh install
from iso. This code fault can appear with no apps running, not even
screen saver and after a full upgrade to a working system.

Do not update or upgrade xorg-X11-anything as it stops the system from
completing boot at "loading atd".
I'm still trying to determine which of the xorg-X11 components is at
fault. I believe that it's something to do with xorg-X11-server-common
but have insufficient proof.
I stayed with nouveau and did not attempt nvidia installation.

Do not use PackageKit for upgrade, install or update it takes longer
(around 5-6 hours) to upgrade than yum (2-3 hours) and is
disappointingly lax with progress information. Stopping it kills the
system necessitating reinstall.

PackageKit will sit for hours after download completion with nill
indication of what is happening, it looks like it's stopped or finished.
This is dangerous as any attempt to do anything kills the system
requiring reinstall.
You need some 6 hours to spare.
Use <Applications><System Tools><System Monitor> to see visually that
it's using between 20 and 100 percent cpu time, 40 percent memory, nil
swap nil network movement.
Sometimes it will sit for an hour or more using 10-20 percent cpu time,
nothing else - do not touch anything during this process it will kill
the system.

With packagekit you can deselect unwanted components but it will install
them anyway. For instance, xorg-X11 drivers for about 20 video cards,
Bluetooth, a dozen foreign language fonts catalan, chinese, indian,
malay, tibetan, etc.

Printer selection system still does not work well.
For some reason Fedora still does not provide a method to connect to usb
printers since F10.
Its limited to network, serial, etc. Golly who uses serial printers
these days.
You will have to manually install the relevant PPD for your printer and
using the serial selections point it to the ppd file by redirecting the
device URI to usb:// what-ever-your-printer-is.

Yum and yumex, both no problems.

Multiple vertex selection in Blender is still very poor with nouveau but
the 3d has improved significantly.
Open Office, Scribus, Gimp all work seamlessly. Gutenprint and
Gimp-print work if the above is completed.
Due to having to reinstall  so many times I have not tried other apps.

These are my findings, they may not be general.

The question: Why don't I report this through bugzilla.
1. I have to register while using the system a reinstall kills that
registration and I can't reregister or log in under the same details.
2. bugzilla has rejected several of my reports because I cannot include
appropriate debug information so I no longer bother. I use the apps, I
'm not technical expert.

Roger