Re: NetworkManager, is it important?

On 04/26/2010 04:24 PM, Gergely Buday wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> yesterday I configured my fedora 12 box. With NetworkManager I could
> not make it to have network after boot. At last I removed
> NetworkManager and createad an S07network link in /etc/rc5.d to
> /etc/init.d/network. It worked - good old Unix wisdom. With
> NetworkManager there was even the problem that after manually starting
> network Firefox switched to offline mode - an annoying problem that my
> users cannot manage.
>
> What do I miss if I do not have NetworkManager? In what circumstances
> do I need it _really_ ?
>
> Cheers
>
> - Gergely

This subject started lots of heated discussions; I, for one, agree with
the old *nix way of getting a working connection, but others like NM.
So, your mileage may vary. As for the Firefox thing, a Google search
will show you an easy way of getting it to work without NetworkManager;
other than that no, I don't really think you'll be
missing anything as the only practical use of NM for me is when having a
laptop. Just my 2 cents.