Re: root passwd

On 04/24/2010 11:38 PM, dhyang wrote:
> 在 2010-04-24六的 05:55 -0700,Lewis Jessup写道:
>
>> I just installed fedora core 12 and install excepts a password for
>> root but when trying to login it gives an
>> 'authentication failure"
>>
>> Have tried booting up using 'rescue installed system' going to shell:
>> shell-4.0#
>> run passwd, and change password, then reboot
>> but cannot login as root have no trouble loggin as user.
>>
>> auy sugestions
>> Lewis Jessup (have been using linus for awhile but I'm still a newbe)
>>
> you can't login as root by default, if use GUI.

I always set up /etc/sudoers to allow user many but not all root privileges
Using root is dangerous.

su
enter root password
vim /etc/sudoers
go to the line which says
## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
under that enter your username <tab> All=(ALL) <tab> ALL
where <tab> is the tab key.
esc wq! to save and quit

When you need root access from a terminal type sudo <some command> and
it will ask for your user password.
type exit or close the terminal to exit sudo.

There are probably better ways but this works for me.
Roger