KDE terminal emulator prompt covering last typed character

At least with two different terminal emulators, konsole and yakuake, I'm
experiencing the phenomenon. After typing a character, it remains concealed by
the prompt until I type the next character. I've been googling this for awhile
now but either it's a rare issue or I'm using the wrong search terms. I've
gone through the settings a couple of times as well. This only happens in
terminal windows, not, for example, in text entry windows like this new email
message window I'm currently typing into. Also, it doesn't happen in Gnome
terminal, only the two listed above. Makes it kind of hard to spell check as
you go since you can't see what you've typed till you type the next
character... Anyone else have this?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA