Re: Home directory files invisible!

Once upon a time, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> However I failed to find how to see whether any of those bits are set
> for a file. I tried `ls -l ' in /bin, /usr/bin, and /tmp but didn't
> notice anything obvious. I also failed to find any appropriate option
> for ls to list it either. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Run "ls -ld /tmp" and you should see:

drwxrwxrwt. 17 root root 4096 2010-04-23 14:37 /tmp

The "t" at the end (instead of a normal "x") indicates the directory
sticky bit.

> Also in what situations would seting the setuid or setgid bits help? I
> could think of some, like writing configuration files for the
> application which are otherwise owned by someone else, maybe for a web
> server or a daemon or maybe some automated backup solution. Are these
> valid scenarios?

You should only have setuid/setgid for programs that are designed for
privilege escalation (such as /bin/su and /usr/bin/passwd).  Setting
them on arbitrary programs is a security problem (since you could be
giving any user the ability to do random things as another user,
possibly root).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>